Monday 29 July 2019

thoughts about raspberries and humans


There is one beautiful forest where I take a walk almost every day, listen to magical sounds of creeks and small waterfalls, do some spiritual practice and forage some wild fruits and sometimes medicinal plants. The other day while I was walking and contemplating the likelihood of blueberry season coming to an end some time soon, I spotted some ripe wild raspberries. I was so happy that they started to ripen. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to the forest. I ask her if it is ok that I collect some blueberries and take them home, or is it greedy of me. She answers that there is always enough blueberries and that I can take as much as I want. Sometimes it's like a child's game, I collect small stones on the way and leave them a few steps further, in search of a "perfect" stone. You can always come back from the forest with some of Nature's gifts. Some food, some pure, light energy, new inspiration, happiness. 
But what is greed then? I think it is taking way more than you need and not letting go, not letting anyone else benefit from it in any way. It is stupid to think that it will somehow fulfil us, and yet we so often do. Nature has enough to supply us all. In theory, if everyone took just as much as they needed, everyone would have enough (that doesn't mean that everyone should always have equal amounts of everything; we all have different needs and a unique role in this Universe). But because of the human nature and many past events that cannot be undone and politics and so many other things, there seems to be a great imbalance where some people have too much while others are starving. It is not the natural state by itself, but rather something that humankind has brought upon itself because of greed (which is in a broader sense also natural to humans).
So interesting, this human kind. Obviously everything is just the way it is supposed to be after all. Anyhow, I am more than grateful that I was born into this exact life where I can (among other things) carelessly roam beautiful forests and eat wild raspberries on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License