Sunday 15 December 2019

miso juha


I've been promising this recipe since summer, but better late than never (in this case at least)! Miso soup is one of my favourite types of soups - I just love its simplicity and rich flavour. You can't really go wrong when making one; you just need some good quality miso paste, home made broth (should I post a broth recipe or is it too basic?), vegetables of choice and... that is more or less it. I will share one of my favourite combinations here, but feel free to adjust the quantities up to your personal taste.

what/
3 cups homemade vegetable broth
3 tbsp naturally fermented miso paste
1-2 tbsp naturally brewed soy sauce
1 handful dried dulse algae (can be substituted with any other algae, eg. wakame or arame)
1 cup chopped dark green vegetables (I normally use broccoli or spinach)
1/2 cup chopped shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup semi-soft tofu, cut in cubes
*this time I also used some young beans and other seasonal vegetables that we had in the garden .

how/
Put the broth into a saucepan and add the algae. Put it on the stove, bring to a boil and cook for 5-10 minutes on middle to lower heat. Alternatively, you can soak the algae in cold water for 4 hours or overnight and add them later, with the rest of the ingredients (I use the soaking water too). This ih actually my preferred way to do it, but often don't plan my meals enough in advance. Prepare the miso paste by dissolving it in 1/3 cup of warm water. Add all the vegetables, mushrooms and tofu, stir while still on the heat and add the dissolved miso and soy sauce. Cover the pot with a lid and remove it from the heat. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and serve.
Bon appétit!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License