Friday 14 August 2020

yuba

Find out how to make homemade yuba (tofu skins) in this article on my new website, Sunberry Jam.


Have you heard of or perhaps already tried yuba? I think it might be one of those less known foods here in Europe. It is also called "tofu skin" or "bean curd skin" and is made by slowly cooking soy milk over a low heat. Originally from China (at least from what I've heard and read, please correct me if I'm wrong), it has been used in many Asian cuisines and a variety of dishes. I first tried it in Vietnam, in some dishes that we ate in local vegan restaurants. I loved its unique texture, something between tender and chewy, and not that easy to describe to someone who hasn't tried it. Pretty plain in flavour by itself, yuba soaks up the flavour from the dish, so it goes well in soups or stir-fry dishes with sauce and spices. It is pretty easy and fun to make, and all you need are soy beans and water. 




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. You make it look very easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! I hope you will like the recipe, this way they are really easy to make :)

      Delete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License